Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mathew Miller, Understanding Islam Through Film "Not Without my Daughter '


The process to become a Muslim is very short, someone who wants to convert to Islam just to say two sentences creed, vowed that "There is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."
But for Mathew Miller, 30, the sentence was the culmination of the transformation of religious life, from a Christian to a Muslim.
He studied at Middle Tennessee University, majoring in digital media communications, and works part time at a golf course. Since childhood, he grew up with Christianity, like surfing and aspires to become a radio DJ.
On CNN, Mathew told how he eventually chose to become a Muslim.
"My first interaction with Islam is while watching a movie called 'Not Without my Daughter'. That was my first glimpse of what Western society is believed to be the actual case in Islam, "said Miller.
Miller was a film called film production in 1991, telling an American woman who fled Iran with her daughter. The film was based on a true story written in the book of the same title. The book has been criticized for being biased look at the people of Iran and Islam.
Miller expressed his interest in Islam was piqued after a conversation with a friend who was Muslim. "I was very scared, but not what I was afraid of," said Miller.
He then often attended Friday prayers at a mosque in Murfreesboro, and at the mosque that he began to learn Islam more deeply. "When I kneel with them, I feel that I can say anything to God, and what I ask for when it is a clue. I want to know, what did I do the right thing, "said Miller.
When converting, Miller hardly encounter any obstacles with his family. "I told my mom that I had converted to Islam at Disneyland. He replied, 'I do not need to know if I was happy with it. But if it makes you happy and you feel it is the right way, there's nothing I can do, '"said Miller imitating her mother.
Now, Miller regularly perform prayers at the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro mosque. As a Murfreesboro resident who has lived in the city since the age of 15 years, then became a Muslim, Miller had heard negative comments about Islam were embraced and the controversy over the mosque in his city.
He heard himself a veteran of the war in Iraq say that the Islamic Center should not be built in Murfreesboro, because it could potentially be a "terrorist".
"I responded to his questions with a formal, and the funny thing is, at the end of the conversation, the man admitted that he did not know anything about Islam," said Miller.
CNN will broadcast about the Muslim community in Murfreesboro in "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door", which was hosted by Soledad O'Brien. The show will be aired on April 2, which will raise about a dramatic series of resistance against the construction of a mosque in Murfreesboro.

source: kisahmuallaf.com

No comments:

Post a Comment