Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cat Stevens, to Islam When Being at the Top of Fame


Fame and fortune does not guarantee someone a happy life. Cat Stevens, the pop star era of the '70s, which became known as Yusuf Islam, precisely felt the anxiety of his life when he was at the peak of popularity where it lives wallowing in wealth. Restlessness that drove down the long driveway to seek the Lord until he found the light of Islam and eventually became preachers through musical activities and active in social activities.
Pop Stars
Since childhood, Yusuf Islam was familiar with the stages of entertainment for the family business engaged in it. He used to live in luxury high-class social circles in England. As adherents of Christianity, his family taught Joseph that God exists, but man can not make direct contact with God. Christians believe in Jesus as an intermediary between man and God.
"I accept that teaching, but I did not swallow it raw," said Joseph.
"I saw the statues of Jesus, they're just inanimate lifeless. I am more confused when they say God is three. But I do not argue with that statement. I accept it, because I have to respect the beliefs of my parents, "he continued.
Growing up, Joseph began to cultivate music and he started to forget the embarrassment to his religion because he started away from Christianity. His dream when it was just a pop star. What he saw and he read in the media greatly influence his thinking to become a star. Joseph had an uncle who had the luxury cars and expensive. When that Joseph thought his uncle had a luxury car because it had a lot of money.

"A lot of people around me make an impact on my thinking and the world that money is their God. So I decided that it was my life. A lot of money, live well, "said Joseph.

Still, Joseph admitted there was still deep in the human heart, a desire to help others if he be rich someday.

Joseph was building his career as a musician and singer. In the age of the young Joseph have experienced success and his desire to be a 'big star' is reached. Names and pictures of her appeared in almost all the mass media. Joseph also felt the pleasures of the world, but that does not make it so satisfied, he wanted a better life and more of what he has, unfortunately Yusuf falling into the wrong path. He chose drugs and alcohol to find the life he wanted it.

Finding the Truth

Joseph received his new year in the career and financial success. Joseph hit tubercolusis due to lifestyle and habits downing booze and drugs. He was very sick and had to be hospitalized. At that time Joseph was thinking, 'why I am here, tergelatak in bed?,' What happened to me? am I just a piece of the body? what is the purpose of my life merely to satisfy this body?. The questions were bothering him and he tried to find the answer.

Because at that time in Western societies is a trend to learn the things from the mystical East, Joseph had come to learn. He became aware of the death. He started doing meditation and became a vegetarian. But the questions that he was not just a piece of the human body, still on her mind.

As a pop star, his name continued to crawl to the ladder of popularity. Wealth continues to flow, but when Joseph began to search for the truth. He also studied Buddhism, but on the one hand, Joseph has not dared to leave the life of glamor, leaving the pleasures of the world and live like a Buddhist priest, isolate themselves from society.

Furthermore, Joseph also studied Zen and Ching, numerology, tarot cards and astrology, studying the Bible back again, but Joseph did not find what she was looking for, the ultimate truth. Until then the so-called miracle came.

"My brother just got back from a visit to Jerusalem and there he visited a mosque. My brother was very impressed to see people crowded mosque, as it is the pulse of life, but the atmosphere of tranquility and peacefulness still felt. It feels different when he visited churches and synagogues are deserted, "said Yusuf.

When he returned to London, his brother gave to Yusuf Islam Quran. "He did not convert to Islam, but he felt something in this religion (Islam) and he thought I would also feel the same. I received my brother's gift of the Quran and read it. That's when I felt that I had found the true religion, religion does not like the view of Western society during that religion is only for old people, "said Joseph.

He continued, "In the West, if there are people who want to embrace a religion and make it as hidunya way, then that person would be considered bigoted. But after reading the Quran were initially confused about my body and soul, finally realizing that they are an integral part, you do not need to go to the mountain to be religious. "

At that time, the only one who wants Yusuf Islam is a Muslim. From the Quran he knew that all the apostles and prophets sent by Allah Almighty to convey the same message. "Why, then, the Jews and Christians different? The Jews did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and they changed the commandments of the Lord. While Christians misunderstand God's commandments and to call Jesus the son of God. But the Quran I find the beauty, the Koran forbids the worship of the sun or moon but ordered mankind to learn and reflect on all of Allah's creation, "said Yusuf Islam.

"When I read the Qur'an further, Quran talk about prayer, charity and good deeds. I've become a Muslim at the time, but I felt the Holy Qur'an is the answer for me and Allah has sent it to me, "said Yusuf Islam.

Say two sentences creed

Yusuf Islam then decide to pay a visit to Jerusalem. In the holy city, he came to the mosque and sat there. "Someone asked, what he wanted, I replied that I was a Muslim. The man asked again, what my name is. I replied 'Steven'. The man looked confused. I participate in one congregation, though I pray not so successful, "recounts the story of Joseph in a mosque in Jerusalem.
>
Back to London, Joseph went to a Muslim named Nafisa and said that he wanted to convert to Islam. Nafisa Joseph was then invited to the New Regent Mosque. When it was in 1977, one and a half years after she read the Koran given her brother. On Friday, after Friday prayers, imams met Yusuf and said two sentences creed. He became a Muslim. Name changed to Cat Stevens Yusuf Islam.

"I finally know that I can make direct contact with God, unlike in Hinduism and Christianity must go through an intermediary. In Islam, all the barriers were not there. The only thing that distinguishes the righteous and pious is salatnya, prayer is a process of self-purification, "said Yusuf Islam.

"Finally, I want to say that what I am doing now is for Allah alone. I hope you get inspiration from my experience this. One I want to say, I never once interacted with a Muslim before I embraced Islam also. I first read the Quran and realize that nobody is perfect. But Islam is a perfect religion and if we follow the example of Prophet Muhammad, our lives will be saved. May Allah continue to guide the people of the Prophet Muhammad to the straight path. ameen, "said Yusuf Islam concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment